Anchor Steam, Brooklyn Lager e outras cervejas americanas

Conhece algum bar, café ou restaurante onde se possa beber ou comprar uma boa cerveja? Partilhe connosco os locais onde adquire cerveja, seja no supermercado ou naquela pequena loja lá do bairro que tem sempre uma cerveja diferente.
PalCabral
Já saca as caricas fora!
Registado: segunda jun 04, 2007 18:29

Anchor Steam, Brooklyn Lager e outras cervejas americanas

Mensagempor PalCabral » domingo jun 10, 2007 17:41

Hi everybody,

during 1995 I lived in Denver, Colorado, and the year in the states was an eye opener that american beer can be so much more and better than the crap we see coming out of megabreweries like Budweiser, Miller's, etc. I would like to bang the drum for the new wave of american beers.

In the last 10 years the stereotype of american beer beeing f*****g close to water has been completely destroyed as the microbreweries of the early 90'ies has turned into medium sized breweries and their products reaching beyond the local brewpub. Forget Miller's, Bud and other light beers made from secondary products, and say hello to excellent beers from Sierra Nevada, Anchor, Brooklyn, Samuel Adams, Pike, and many others.

In Sweden where I live, the new american beers started arriving about 3-4 years ago. Anchor Steam, the classic San Fransisco lager-ale hybrid, was among the first, and it is one of my absolute favourites. Sam Adams was another to arrive early and their excellent Boston Lager is now to be found in some bars in Stockholm on tap. These days there are a number of great american beers available in Sweden, Sierra Nevada's Pale Ale is another wonderful beer and Brooklyn Brewery in NY produces a great Lager, a delicious Brown Ale and a pale ale called Pennant's that is perfect.

Has these american beers had any progress in the portuguse market yet? I was thinking that the relative high number of returning emigrants from New Jersey and Toronto areas could help bring these beers to Portugal? Have anyone seen Anchor Steam for sale in Portugal?

VicMaP
BeerMaster
Registado: domingo dez 03, 2006 18:37
Contacto:

Mensagempor VicMaP » domingo jun 10, 2007 18:06

Nada, absolutamente, Pal.
Dos EUA, penso que só se encontra a Bud. Até a Miller é raro encontrar-se.
Mesmo as inglesas, a não ser as da Marston que se encontram com relativa facilidade no El Corte Inglês.
Quanto aos emigrantes que voltam, Pal, suponho que na sua maioria se não totalidade, são originários dos Açores ou Madeira, e não do Continente.
Vamos esperar que alguuém se decida a começar a importá-las :roll:

PalCabral
Já saca as caricas fora!

Mensagempor PalCabral » domingo jun 10, 2007 20:20

This is sad news, VicMaP. Some of the beers I mentioned, Anchor Steam, Brooklyn Lager and Boston Lager would be perfect in a hot country like Portugal. They take away your thirst while having some nice taste.

Speaking of Corte Ingles - it seems they have the best beer selection in Lisboa these days. Is that correct?

VicMaP
BeerMaster
Contacto:

Mensagempor VicMaP » domingo jun 10, 2007 23:45

Bem, eu creio não estar enganado no que afirmei, embora me tenham já dito que há alguns bares na zona norte que tem cervejas diferentes do normal aqui em Lisboa, Pal. Quando me falaram nisso, não referiram cervejas americanas, mas fica a ressalva.
Em relação às grandes superfícies, já a hipótese de erro é mais pequena, uma vez que não é normal haver diferenças entre o que é distribuido em Lisboa e no resto do país.
Estouu à espera das feiras de cerveja que é costume as grandes superfícies promoverem no Verão. Quem sabe não aparecem surpresas?

E sim, falando de cervejas o Corte Inglês é a superfície melhor servida.

beertruck
BeerMaster
Registado: quarta jul 12, 2006 10:19

Mensagempor beertruck » segunda jun 11, 2007 19:19

Caro Pal,
Benvindo!
Infelizmente, nenhuma das cervejas que referiste - Sam Adams Boston Lager, Brooklyn Lager, Anchor Steam, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale - se pode encontrar em Portugal. Tive oportunidade de as provar todas numa viagem que fiz a NYC em Novembro. Lá, essas cervejas são omnipresentes (podes encontrar em qualquer bar/bistro/restaurante/mercearia/supermercado de bairro), o que só prova que são perfeitamente acessíveis a qualquer pessoa, mesmo que não seja um beer-geek. Concordo que são cervejas óptimas para países com climas quentes e países onde as pessoas não estejam habituadas a cervejas pesadas ou com sabores muito intensos (têm sabor apesar de leves e refrescantes). São óptimas "session beers" para beber uma atrás da outra. Mas, cá em Portugal, ninguém sabe que existe cerveja americana para além da bud (devem até ser pucas as pessoas que já ouviram sequer falar em miller ou coors). Não venhas cá com algumas esperanças porque, a nível de cerveja, Portugal é mesmo uma tristeza. Isto aqui é o deserto! A norte ou a sul do Tejo...

beertruck
BeerMaster

Mensagempor beertruck » segunda jun 11, 2007 19:36

Quanto a sítios para comprar cerveja em Lisboa, o melhor é mesmo o ECI.
Os supermercados Pão De Açúcar (pelo menos o das Amoreiras) têm vindo a aumentar a oferta de cerveja nos últimos tempos e os preços são mais razoáveis.
E na loja gourmet Delidelux costuma haver uma ou outra coisa que não se encontra nas outras - as Rochefort por exemplo. Os preços são mais puxadotes (mas nada que se compare com a Suécia, imagino...).
No entanto, como disse no meu post anterior, não te entusiasmes. O que se encontra por cá são apenas algumas das marcas belgas e alemãs mais famosas e uma ououtra checa ou inglesa, no meio de muita "macro pale lager" dos mais variados países como Espanha, Holanda, China, Japão, Venezuela, Brasil, Argentina :roll: ...

PalCabral
Já saca as caricas fora!

Mensagempor PalCabral » segunda jun 11, 2007 19:38

True Beertruck, it's a shame.

Hopefully this will change over the next coming years? I mean, I've been visiting and even living in Portugal on and off for the last 10-15 years and I've seen a big difference in Portugal when it comes to beer culture. In the mid 90'ies all there was to buy was Super Bock and Sagres - not too bad but still little choice. I think the only additional beers were Sagres Preta, Cristal and maybe Carlsberg. In the last couple of years a number of new beers have arrived, unfortunately many of them poor, but at least there's been a few original attempts to bring variety on the portuguese beer scene.

And at times there is good choice in Jumbo and Continente. I remember very well a few years back, probably in 1999 when I found my favourite belgian beer, Floreffe, in Jumbo during festa dos cervejas or something like that. Although maybe a small variety, still it shows that there is change.

In Sweden all alcoholic drinks for home consumption are bought at the government liqor stores - specific stores only for alcoholic drinks, nothing else. It has to be said that although this seems to be a step back towards communism or totalitarism there is actually something very good with this system: the state liqor store has the biggest variety of beer, wine and booze in the world. And if they don't have it, you can order it without additional costs as long as you are willing to buy a case. That's excellent service. And ecuase of their monopoly this company has negotiated very good deals with almost every single alcohol producer in the world.

You may argue the price is horrendously high, 1.5 euro for a 33cl bottle in the shop, but there is just about any beer you want. :D

PalCabral
Já saca as caricas fora!

Mensagempor PalCabral » segunda jun 11, 2007 19:49

Beertruck - ECI?

I know well Pão De Açúcar in Amoreiras, in fact I think it was there I found Floreffe (they belong to the Jumbo chain?). But Delidelux I don't know - where can this shop be found?

Rochefort is a good beer, but in comparison with the other Trappiste beers I think I prefer Orval (now that's an awesome beer) and Chimay. Westmalle and Westvletern are so and so. I lived in Brussels for a total of 4.5 years and I had t he opportunity to drink a lot of different strange and sometimes awful belgian brews. Besides Orval, I really like Floreffe, Ciney and Affligem. Affligem belongs to Heineken or Grolsch these days, so they are starting to be exported in more volumes. Maybe you've seen it in Portugal.

beertruck
BeerMaster

Mensagempor beertruck » segunda jun 11, 2007 19:50

PalCabral Escreveu: And if they don't have it, you can order it without additional costs as long as you are willing to buy a case. That's excellent service. :D
That's what I call excellent service! (App)

beertruck
BeerMaster

Mensagempor beertruck » segunda jun 11, 2007 19:59

PalCabral Escreveu: You may argue the price is horrendously high, 1.5 euro for a 33cl bottle in the shop, but there is just about any beer you want. :D
Não acho nada caro. Isso é o mínimo que pagamos cá por qualquer cerveja Belga ou Alemã... Ou, se calhar, nós é que estamos mal habituados :roll: ...

beertruck
BeerMaster

Mensagempor beertruck » segunda jun 11, 2007 20:29

Antes de comentar o teu post queria pedir desculpa ao meu caro amigo Fernando/Cerevisiae e acrescentar que na Loja da Cerveja Caseira também há uma óptima selecção de Belgas e Alemãs e também podes encontrar Budvar, Urquel, Guinness SES e Gordon's. A mim, fica-me um bocado fora de mão mas, uma vez que vais lá, aproveita!...
Quanto ao teu post:
PalCabral Escreveu:Beertruck - ECI?
Sorry! El Corte Inglês.
PalCabral Escreveu:I know well Pão De Açúcar in Amoreiras, in fact I think it was there I found Floreffe (they belong to the Jumbo chain?). But Delidelux I don't know - where can this shop be found?
Sim, acho que Jumbo e Pão de Açúcar são a mesma coisa... A Floreffe 750ml costuma haver no ECI. Acho que nunca a vi no Jumbo...
Delidelux: http://www.delidelux.pt/pt/default.html
Fica perto de Santa Apolónia, junto ao bar/discoteca Lux e ao restaurante Bica do Sapato.
PalCabral Escreveu:Rochefort is a good beer, but in comparison with the other Trappiste beers I think I prefer Orval (now that's an awesome beer) and Chimay. Westmalle and Westvletern are so and so. I lived in Brussels for a total of 4.5 years and I had t he opportunity to drink a lot of different strange and sometimes awful belgian brews. Besides Orval, I really like Floreffe, Ciney and Affligem. Affligem belongs to Heineken or Grolsch these days, so they are starting to be exported in more volumes. Maybe you've seen it in Portugal.
A minha Trapista preferida é a Rochefort 8 (LCC, Delidelux). Tb gosto bastante da Orval e das Chimay (principalmente a azul) - LCC, ECI, Jumbo. A Westmalle Dubbel (ECI) acho bastante vulgar. A Tripel só bebi uma vez pelo que não tenho opinião formada. Nunca bebi Westvleteren nem Achel (não se vendem cá).
A Affligem é do grupo Heineken e desde o Grupo Nabeiro/Delta passou a distribuir a Heineken em PT, também se pode encontrar por cá, quer no ECI, quer no Jumbo. Mas não é das minhas preferidas. Acho que, quer na Dubbel, quer na Tripel, o alcoól está muito evidente. Dentro de Abbey Ales de grandes grupos, acho que prefiro as Leffe (InBev) e Grimbergen (S&N) que são relativamente fáceis de encontrar.
Numa coisa tens razão: o panorama cervejeiro em Portugal mudou muito nos últimos anos. Esperemos que continue a evoluir.

VicMaP
BeerMaster
Contacto:

Mensagempor VicMaP » segunda jun 11, 2007 21:02

beertruck Escreveu:Fica perto de Santa Apolónia, junto ao bar/discoteca Lux e ao restaurante Bica do Sapato.

Para facilitar: é mesmo em frente à entrada de Santa Apolónia, do outro lado da rua, num daqueles armazens.
Quanto ao resto, é curioso que nunca comprei a Florefee. Mas da próxima não escapa.
Bebi agora em Espanha a Achel: bastante boa, embora continue a preferir a Rochefort 10 e as Chimay. também nunca bebi Westmalle Triple. Nem em Espanha se encontra.
Quanto à Affligem, gosto bastante também. E já agora, a La Trappe Dubbel que acabei de beber: um espectácuulo!

P.S.- O que é o LCC, Beertruck?:oops:

beertruck
BeerMaster

Mensagempor beertruck » terça jun 12, 2007 9:48

VicMaP Escreveu:P.S.- O que é o LCC, Beertruck?:oops:

Loja da Cerveja Caseira... :oops: :lol:

bmxutos
Site Admin
Registado: terça mai 16, 2006 2:07
Contacto:

Mensagempor bmxutos » quarta jun 20, 2007 22:31

Um bocado atrasado mas ainda venho dar os meus 5 cents a esta questão. Qualquer das cervejas americanas que o Pal mencionou são excepcionalmente agradáveis. Porque é que então não se vendem por cá? Por uma questão de dinheiro, meus caros!!! Os EUA continuam muito longe e a eterna luta cambial entre o dólar e o euro pode tornar uma importação em algo de extremamente oneroso. Assim sendo, uma Anchor Steam Beer ou uma Brooklyn Lager poderiam chgar aos nossos supermercados entre 2,5 a 3€. Quem estaria diposto a dar este dinheiro por uma cerveja? Provavelmente alguns de nós aqui do fórum que comparíamos uma ou duas garrafas e mais alguns curiosos mas pouco mais. Tal não justifica a importação de várias caixa, a única forma de fazer baixar o preço final. Portanto, acredito que muito dificilmente qualquer importador/supermercado se meta nessas andanças!

Penso que em Portugal e não só, existe ainda uma atracção muito grande pelo preço baixo em detrimento da qualidade. Ainda hoje estive no Pingo Doce e a cerveja que mais vi procurada foi a Imperial! Porquê? Estava em promoção e 1 pack de 10 custava o mesmo que o pack 6 de SB ou Sagres. Saía como ginjas!

Outro bom exemplo da mentalidade que existe: fui a um bar próximo de S. Paulo, em Lisboa e como não me apetecia nada de especial pedi uma Sagres Preta. O barman disse que não tinha. Pedi então uma Sagres Bohemia. Com ar enfadado o rapaz reponde-me que só trabalha com Super Bock! Linda resposta! Em que outro país seria possível ouvir isto? Bom, continuando, o tipo já estava a agarrar no copo da imperial quando lhe pedi um porto tinto. O homem ficou um pouco atarantado mas lá me serviu o Velhotes, ainda que eu tivesse ficado desde logo aborrecido com a situação. Mas de nada valia a pena queixar-me ali: o barman pouca ou nenhuma culpa deverá ter e enquanto os consumidores não reagirem, a situação pouco se alterará. Pedir uma cerveja por marca? Que absurdo? Sai uma imperial e tá a andar!!! :<<<

Mas então como é que a Bud ou Miller conseguem vender os seus produtos cá a um preço relartivamente acessível? Pois, é mesmo relativamente já que se comparármos o preço de uma Bud em Portugal e nos EUA, a diferença é abissal. Aliás, estamos a pagar uma enormidade por uma cerveja que realmente não presta. Por outro lado, estes gigantes têm industrias um pouco por todo o mundo. A nossa Bud não é feita nos States mas sim na Europa, pelo que o preço é bem mais acessível. Infelizmente e que eu saiba, nem a Sierra Nevada, a Samuel Adams ou a Anchor têm fábricas no Velho Continente.

Bom, esta conversa já me está a fazer sede pelo que, seguindo o vosso conselho, me vou atirar a uma:

Imagem

Abraço.

PalCabral
Já saca as caricas fora!

Mensagempor PalCabral » quinta jun 21, 2007 21:45

Interesting Bruno. I never thought of it, that the cost of the beer was related to the dollar-euro exchange rate. Sweden decided to stay out of the Euro and a Brooklyn Lager goes at €1.5 in the shop, which is a competitive price in Sweden. So maybe there was something good with Sweden staying out of th Euro after all? :D

As for bars serving only one type of beer, the fenomenon exists in quite a few other countries. In England, it is really a pest because a majority of all the pubs are owned by breweries, who force their pubs only to sell their products. In Sweden pubs and bars get very good loans when they start out from breweries in exchange for exclusivity of selling that brewery's beers for x years. It could very well be that similar "contracts" between brewery and bars exist in Portugal, limiting the publicans choice? In England, you have to look out for pubs called "Freehouses" to get a publican who sells whatever beer he pleases.

However, mentilities and drinking habits change with time, and especially with generations. The +40-50 consumer in Portugal may not be particularly interested in what tinto, maduro or imperial actually fills his glass, but the younger generation in more travelled and may actually demand a Medoc red, an Alsace Gewurtztraminer or a Young's Special London Ale. And once the demand is there, the bars will start selling it. Look at the boom of "irish" pubs that sell Guinness (made in Spain?) all over Portugal in the last years. This trend will continue for sure.

The biggest problem I see is that too many young people these days are buying the alco pops, these fruit-tasting sodas with about 6-9% alcohol. Why not just inject the alcohol if you can't drink it? :evil:

bmxutos
Site Admin
Contacto:

Mensagempor bmxutos » quinta jun 21, 2007 23:34

PalCabral Escreveu:

The biggest problem I see is that too many young people these days are buying the alco pops, these fruit-tasting sodas with about 6-9% alcohol. Why not just inject the alcohol if you can't drink it? :evil:

Pois, as alco-pops são uma praga. Por cá já estiveram um pouco mais na moda. Agora o pessoal vai mais para caipirinhas e similares (caipirão, caipiríssimas, etc), margueritas (normais ou de morango, manga, whatever) e esse género de cocktails. O poder de compra subiu substancialmente nos últimos anos, apesar das queixas e da tão propalada crise económica, pelo que pagar 4 ou 5 euros por uma bebida já não é algo de tão extraordinário.

Como disse antes, a época das Mule, Breezer, Ice e Metz já teve o seu zénite. Mas o bichinho ficou e quem está agora a aproveitar-se disso são as empresas cervejeiras, que lançam cervejas com baixo teor de álcool e com sabores a limão, groselha ou pêssego. É uma tentativa de captar todas aquelas pessoas que não gostam do sabor "normal" da cerveja mas que procuram um produto fresco e relativamente acessível. É uma tendência não só portuguesa mas também mundial. E parece-me que veio para ficar... :?

By the way... como é o panorama cervejeiro na Noruega? É muito diferente do que se passa na Suécia e das lojas do estado que falaste? Há algumas boas produtoras locais?

Best regards,

PalCabral
Já saca as caricas fora!

Mensagempor PalCabral » sábado jun 23, 2007 14:49

Generally speaking Norway has been even more restrictive when it comes to sales of alcohol than Sweden. Wine and spirits can, just as in Sweden, only be purchased in state controlled liquor stores but they are taxed much much higher. A few years back I lived in Oslo and was going to make a dish that included some white wine in the recipe. I asked the lady behind the counter that I wanted a cheap cooking wine - she answered embarrased that the cheapest the store had was a Bulgarian wine at 8 Euros!!! When I told my sogra, she had to sit down... :lol:

For some strange reason beer has been excluded from the monopoly and can be purchased in normal supermarkets, however they are still target to high taxes and thus quite expensive. But, as a result they variety of beers available to the consumer is considerably less in Norway, since the supermarkets only look at the bottom line - it is better to sell 3 beers that sell well than 100 out of which 50 sits on the shelf week out and week in. In most shops in Norway, the variety of beer for offer is just as poor as in portugueese supermarkets.

It's funny, but from a consumer's perspective the alcohol monopoly has been excellent in Sweden. There are beers from practically speaking the whole world and it works to educate the consumer to try different types of beers, to randomly chose beers never tried before, instead of just buying the same beer as always. In Norway you see the contrast, only beers from domestic big breweries and Heineken+Budweisser+Guinness, and few other foreign brands.

As for Norwegian beer in general it is very german-based. The most common beer is Pils, which is normal light lager beer, nothing to write home about, maybe a bit more malty than Sagres-SB but basically the same thing. Another clear trace to german beer making is the norwegian Bock beer, which is made for x-mas and winter, dark and strongish (6-7%). It's at least more original beer than lager. Most independent breweries were bought by one of the two brewery giants in Norway (does this sound familiar?) but there are a few independent breweries left, notably Aass Brewery and Mack Brewery from Tromsö, my family's town - excellent beer. However, lately there have been new microbreweries popping up in Norway who brew excellent beer, such as Högne and Oslo Mikrobryggeri. Both in Norway and Denmark, excellent new small breweries are starting to show signs of a good beer future.

bmxutos
Site Admin
Contacto:

Mensagempor bmxutos » domingo jun 24, 2007 12:40

Boas Pal,

é curiosa esta troca de impressões pois possibilita-nos um novo ponto e vista sobre determinadas questões. Por exemplo, como seria de esperar e acontece um pouco por todo o mundo, já achava que as lagers seriam as cervejas mais consumidas quer na Suécia quer na Noruega. Agora, estava à espera da existência de mais cervejas escuras, mais encorpadas e com maior teor de álcool, para fazer face ao Inverno rigoroso que deve existir. Uma bock de 7% já é qualquer coisa mas pensava mais naquelas baltic porters ou imperial stouts!

Pelo menos e como referiste, já se começa a fazer sentir o fenómeno das micro-cervejarias na Noruega. Já tinhamos lançado essa discussão relativamente à Dinamarca, pelo que é bom saber que outros países europeus estão a seguir esssa tendência. Mais uma vez, Portugal está a ficar na cauda e começa-se a atrasar. Espero que não de uma forma irremediável!

Já agora só mais uma pergunta, mera curiosidade. Com os preços que falaste, quer para vinho e cervejas, deve ser um pouco difícil a vida para pubs e bares na Noruega. Se um vinho búlgaro de baixa qulidade custa oito euros, o que pedirão por vinhos franceses, italianos ou portugueses? Parece-me que existe uma política deliberada por parte dos governos desses países para controlar o consumo de álcool já que a justificação não pode ser pelas taxas altas que, apesar de existirem, não me parece fazerem grande falta a dois países tão ricos, nomeadamente a Noruega. Abraço.

PalCabral
Já saca as caricas fora!

Mensagempor PalCabral » segunda jun 25, 2007 22:29

Bruno,

certainly the alcohol monopoly was once the state's tool to control alcohol consumotion in these countries, but these days it's nothing but national economics. I have no idea how much money the monopolies in Norway and Sweden pull in, but for Sweden it was a condition to join EU to be allowed to keep it, disregarding that EU stands for free market. The money the state makes from selling alcohol is enormous and would leave a huge hole in the country's finances, that's for sure. But once upon a time(1920'ies), there was even rationing on alcohol in both countries to keep the sideaffects with drinking down.

In Sweden thanks to the EU the prices have gone down on alcohol and although not comparable to Portugal they are comparable to other european countries these days.

In Norway, the high prices remain, however, which means that drinking is limited to weekends mainly. At a restaurant, the cheapest wine they will sell is between 35-45 euros, so most people drink at home before they go out and limit themselves to a couple of beers when they are out. But you'll be surprised how many absolutely drunk out of the heads men and women you'll see in Oslo on a Friday or Saturday night. It's scary. When "we" drink, we drink huge volumes and fairly quickly.

But it is worth mentioning that the system works to promote consumers to buy more expensive wines. The prices of wine becomes more and more worthwhile the more expensive wine you buy (basically the alcohol shop puts less and less on top of the price depending how much they paid for it), so if you are willing to spend say 50-70 euros on a french wine I believe you would get more or less the same wine as you would in Portugal/France. I have even heard that some expensive french wines are actually cheaper in Sweden and Norway than in France.

Naturally the homemade alcohols are popular in Norway and Sweden too. Certain areas of the country is famous for their moonshine and the alcohol shops sell hardly any booze at all. Almost like in Minho, an alambique in every home... :D

But moonshine is connected with dangers. A few years back 7 people died in various corners of the country after having drunk wood alcohol, sold elegally by "some guy" at a petrol station, many more were poisened and hospitalised. Needless to say, alcohol smuggling is big too and very profitable for those who dare.

VicMaP
BeerMaster
Contacto:

Mensagempor VicMaP » domingo jul 01, 2007 17:07

PalCabral Escreveu: But you'll be surprised how many absolutely drunk out of the heads men and women you'll see in Oslo on a Friday or Saturday night. It's scary. When "we" drink, we drink huge volumes and fairly quickly.

Pal,

Isso não é só lá :))
Há uns anos atrás, um amigo meu que não estava familiarizado com os costumes dos povos nórdicos ou da Europa Central, veio da Alemanha muito impressionado com as mulheres que nas noites de sexta-feira e sábado, se viam nas ruas bêbadas e a urinar nas ruas

Abraço

Vic

Voltar para “BARES, CAFÉS, RESTAURANTES E OUTROS”

Quem está ligado:

Utilizadores neste fórum: Nenhum utilizador registado e 2 visitantes